Migrating to modern CPU with a geForce graphics card

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:57:33 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 6:11 AM, iceblink <iceblink at seti.nl> wrote:

> On 2015-04-07 14:42, Dan Purgert wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 19:33:21 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>>  I've got a shaky mobo that I'm thinking to replace with a more modern
>>> one. In the process, I'll likely switch from AMD 64 to Intel core I7.
>>> The mobo's Ive seen all have built-in video, and I gather this is
>>> actually a reflection of on-chip capabilities.
>>>
>>> My problem is that I am currently running a geForce card with 3
>>> monitors, 2 DVIs and one HDMI.  I want to keep it that way.  I have yet
>>> to see a mobo with these exact connectors.  So my question is: is this
>>> going to be easy or hard?  Right now I'm thinking of the ASUS Maximus
>>> VII or Z96 Deluxe, both of which list NVIDIA SLI (whatever that is) as
>>> multi-GPU support.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have experience with these mobos, running a recent kernel?
>>> I'm currently at xubuntu 14.04 LTS, hoping to stay LTS.
>>>

>> Not those motherboards specifically, but my experience with most discrete
>> graphics cards is pretty much:
>>
>> 1. Install hardware
>> 2. Install drivers (possibly fight with nouveau)
>> 3. Fight with xorg.conf (though the nVidia thing helps a lot here).
>>

> Usually the onboard graphics chips are okay for a bit of browsing and
> limited 3D. But it sounds like you require more power. So I would suggest
> you transplant your GeForce adapter to the new MoBo, and disable the
> onboard thingie. So make sure your GeForce is transplantable to the new
> MoBo and you'll be fine.
>
> Best regards,
> Patrick

Hmmm.  That's kind of what I was asking about.  All I know about the
transplanting is that the card is 2 slots wide and needs a PCIx16 slot.
Both of the boards I'm considering have 2 x16 slots, so I'm good as far as
that goes.  I have a use for the other one -- I want more SATA drives, and
I have a controller card that will use the other.  I have 6 drives now,
counting the DVD, and I'm doing some stuff that needs insane amounts of
storage, most of it temporary, fortunately.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */