"tcsetattr(): Inappropriate ioctl for device" (redirection to /dev/null)

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Tue Apr 7 12:19:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a cron job to run a bash script that includes the following
line:

hpodder  >/dev/null

Note that I'm not redirecting stderr.  Whenever the hpodder command
gives an error message, the cron job output also includes
"tcsetattr(): Inappropriate ioctl for device".  I've googled this
message & it usually seems related to redirecting output when changing
ownership/permissions, e.g., with su -c or sudo.  In my case, the
crontab is running in the 'adam' account, & the bash script is owned
by 'adam' too.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks,
Adam