Experiences with LVM vs btrfs

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Fri Apr 3 10:10:59 UTC 2015

I am going to reinstall my personal server at home today, mainly
because I want to reconfigure file systems and add functionality that I
don't have now.

The system is on two 250G drives in RAID1 (now mdadm, xfs), and I
specifically want snapshots, subvolumes would also be nice. What I
would like to know, is: should I put LVM on top of the RAID, or should
I dispense of mdadm altogether and let btrfs take care of everything?

(Oh, I am aware that I must stop using xfs, as it can't shrink volumes.)

I am a little wary of using btrfs for everything as I'm not familiar
with it, but on the other hand I haven't used LVM before either.

Backups of the machine is taken regularly, so if I mess things up, it's
not a big deal. Performance is not paramount, as it is an old and slow
machine, and most of what it does is simply serving files over NFS and
handle mail.

Can someone who has experience with LVM and/or btrfs give me some
advice on what is the best to work with, easiest to learn, requires
little maintenance, etc? What would the experts out there recommend to
someone who is new to both?

TIA,

Petter

--