Error found when loading /etc/profile

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Wed Apr 1 18:03:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 14:42 -0300, Carlos Gustavo Ramirez Rodriguez
wrote:
> Error found when loading /etc/profile:
> /etc/profile.d/cedilla-brazil.sh: linha 21: [: nĂºmero excessivo de
> argumentos
>
> Can anyone help me fix this issue?

Looks like the package containing /etc/profile.d/cedilla-brazil.sh was
updated and has a bug in it, so it has an invalid shell syntax in a test
invocation.

You can use the terminal command:

  dpkg -S /etc/profile.d/cedilla-brazil.sh

to find out which package owns that file, then you should go to
Launchpad and file a bug against that package with the appropriate
information.  I don't have that file on my system so I can't help more
than that.

Fixing it won't be so simple, unless you can uninstall that package
while you wait for it to be fixed.  If you need the package, though,
you'll have to either live with the message or else try to fix the
syntax error yourself.