"Shellshock" bash bug

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Sep 27 11:32:26 UTC 2014

Colin Law wrote:
> On 27 September 2014 11:05, Graham Watkins <shellycat.gw at ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> > The result I get is:
> >
> > "$: command not found"
>
> You were not supposed to copy the $, just from env

That's why I leave away the prompt before the commands. A newcomer to
the command line can't know that it is not part of the command.

> In the terminal you normally see $ at the point where you type the
> command.

Hmm, that may be the default for Unix machines and it may have been the
same for early Linux machines. However a Kubuntu 14.04 terminal has this
prompt:

kubuntu at kubuntu:~$

and for Xubuntu it is similar:

xubuntu at xubuntu:~$

Therefore I suppose it would be "ubuntu at ubuntu:~$" for a Ubuntu system
and not simply "$".

Nils