Locked computer

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:36:47 UTC 2014

On 26/09/14 09:10, Colin Law wrote:
> On 26 September 2014 08:36, VĂ­tor Moreira <vitor.s.moreira at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Someone has had problems in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32bit?
>>
>> I think after doing an update the computer started blocking (symptoms:
>> idle/inactive, if the computer is playing music sound like a broken disk and
>> repetitive, lights Caps Lock + ScrLk flashes and restarts after a few tens
>> of seconds) every day and several times a day.
>
> That means that a 'kernel panic' has occurred.  It probably means you
> have a hardware problem.
> Hold the shift key down during boot and it should show you a menu that
> includes a RAM test option.  Select that with arrow buttons and hit
> enter.  Leave it running for a number of hours and see if it happens
> then, or if it shows any errors.  If so then it is a hardware problem.
> It could be overheating, in which case opening the case and cleaning
> the dust out and making sure the fans are functioning may help.  Or it
> could be the power supply.
>
> Before doing anything else make sure that you have backups of
> everything important on the PC in case it breaks completely.
>
> Colin

Hi,

If this occurred after an update, it could be a corrupted update and
rolling back to the previous Kernel could be an option.

Before boot, hold <Shift> and that will bring up the Grub menu, and
select "Previous Ubuntu versions" and try a "Older Kernel"

If this happens to work, ask here in a new thread about how to recover
the update!

Hope this helps

Pete S