Blu-ray problem

wG|Agent M agent_m at advantagepc.com.au
Fri Sep 26 01:22:48 UTC 2014

I might be wrong, or my info might be out of date, but my understanding
is that you can't play blu-ray discs on ubuntu / Linux.

If I'm not mistaken it has something to do with licensing for blu-rays,
and as a result unless the people producing the media players have paid
the licensing fee then the players can't play them. Given that software
for linux / Ubuntu is generally free, including VLC, they won't have
paid this licensing fee, and therefore can't play blu-ray
discs....despite the fact that you have legally bought a blu-ray player
and blu-ray disc, have obtain an operating system, and a media
player...again, ALL legally, you won't be able to play blu-ray movies.

Ironically, I believe you can rip the blu-ray into an MKV file, and then
play the MKV file ( the very thing that people obtaining these movies
illegally would do ). However, that either means ripping it every time
you want to watch it, or storing the ripped versions of your movies on
your hard drive, OR I think there is a way to have it ripped and played
through VLC on the fly, but can't really recall how to do it, I
personally just decided to boycott blu-ray and stick with DVDs, the
quality is just fine on any devices that I watch movies on.

As I said, my info on this might be out of date, as it was about 2 years
ago when I tried blu-ray on my new laptop with a blu-ray burner, and
ended up taking the blu-ray disc back, and getting the dvd instead.

Someone else might know more, will be interesting to see if things have
progressed and if so, if you manage to get it working easily.

Best of luck though

M :)