Upgrading to 14.04 gives problems II

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 07:21:21 UTC 2014

On 22 September 2014 07:45, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> I don't fully understand why it is a problem as it is later than the
>> one that the other packages depend on so I would have thought they
>> would be happy with it.
>
> Sometimes packages depend on a specific version of another package. I
> have seen that quite often for KDE packages.

These are the facts that doesn't seem to make sense

joep at laguna:~/Documenten/Datab
ases$ sudo apt-get install liblcms2-2:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 openjdk-7-jre-headless : Depends: liblcms2-2 (>= 2.2+git20110628) but
it is not going to be installed
*E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
caused by held *packages.
joep at laguna:~/Documenten/Databases$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre-headless
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openjdk-7-jre-headless is already the newest version.

$ apt-cache policy openjdk-7-jre-headless
openjdk-7-jre-headless:
  Installed: 7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04
  Candidate: 7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04
  Version table:
 *** 7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04 0
        500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main
amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main
amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     7u51-2.4.6-1ubuntu4 0
        500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages

joep at laguna:~/Documenten/Datab
ases$ apt-cache policy liblcms2-2
liblcms2-2:
*  Installed: 2.6-3ubuntu1~precise1**
**  Candidate: 2.6-3ubuntu1~precise1*
  Version table:
 *** 2.6-3ubuntu1~precise1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.5-0ubuntu4 0
        500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages

So "openjdk-7-jre-headless : Depends: liblcms2-2 (>= 2.2+git20110628)
but it is not going to be installed" but actually  liblcms2-2
2.6-3ubuntu1~precise1 is installed, and further, openjdk is already
installed.

Colin