Internet connection?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Fri Sep 19 02:29:24 UTC 2014

Quoting Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp>:

> Good morning
> Running Xubuntu 14.04 (tuxtrans) on a Dell Inspiron 1545.
>
> Now that I have "solved" the update problem, I want to add one or two
> things to my fresh installation.
> However, I noticed, that the "Software Center" tries to start, but then
> simply disappears before anything can happen.
> I tried Firefox. Crashes immediately.
> (did not try the mailer yet; have not yet set up an account)
>
> But there are no error messages of any sort (except that Firefox asks
> me, whether I would like to send a crash report)
> I use wired connection. 2-3 other computers going through the same
> router have no problems.
>
> As I said above, the "update/upgrade" via a terminal command worked.
> So did the "Software update" function.
>
> What am I supposed to look for now?
> Thank you.
> Thomas

a good test for internet connectivity is to try to ping another
machine. Open a terminal and type in

"ping cira.ca" without the quotes and push "enter"

and see if you get a series of return messages.

This is what I get and is normal:

PING cira.ca (192.228.29.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from www.cira.ca (192.228.29.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=165 ms
64 bytes from www.cira.ca (192.228.29.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=242 time=168 ms
64 bytes from www.cira.ca (192.228.29.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=242 time=170 ms
64 bytes from www.cira.ca (192.228.29.1): icmp_seq=4 ttl=242 time=168 ms
^C

You can substitute another web site as long as you know for sure it
works. You can end the series of replies from the site by typing
Control-C.

If you get a "network unreachable" message then you aren't getting out.

You can back off one step then and see if you can ping your router,
its address will be something along the lines of 192.168.1.1 but that
varies with each different manufacturer.

Good luck.

Dave