Why can't I load the radeon kernel module after X server and Unity desktop environment have started?

Teo En Ming singapore.mr.teo.en.ming at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 06:10:37 UTC 2014

Hi,

For purposes of Xen VGA passthrough, I have blacklisted the radeon
kernel module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. I have also uninstalled
the lightdm display manager.

# blacklist radeon kernel module
blacklist radeon
# blacklist snd_hda_intel kernel module
blacklist snd_hda_intel

When I am not doing VGA passthrough, I would like to load the radeon
kernel module so that I can play MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 videos smoothly. But
I can't load the radeon kernel module after X server and Unity desktop
environment have started. The screen will turn blank.

Now I can only load the radeon kernel module in the following sequence.

sudo modprobe radeon
sudo apt-get install lightdm
sudo service lightdm start

Do you know why I can't load the radeon kernel module after X server and
Unity desktop environment have started?

Thank you.

--
Yours sincerely,