Upgrading to 14.04 gives problems II

J.L. Blom joep at neuroweave.nl
Sun Sep 14 21:38:28 UTC 2014

On 14/09/14 18:29, Colin Law wrote:
> [...]
>>> update again. Colin
>>
>> Colin, Just returned home and found your mail and the one of of Samual
>> Romero.
>> I´ll  start answering Samuel´s and your last mail first.
>> Yes I have nvidia drivers but my drivers are of the 304 series (much older).
>> Looking for nvidia-opencl I only got:
>> ¨update-notifier-crash-_var_crash_nvidia-opencl-icd-304.0.crash.log.1.gz¨
>> which as content had the same line. I believe that was caused because the
>> incorrect nvidia driver was loaded and the nouveau driver was extremely
>> slow.
>> So I think for the time being I won´t try this solution but can try it later
>> when other measures don’t work.
>> I did the upgrade, as you suggested and after showing numerous archives it
>> came with:
>> ...(list of archives)
>> Fetched 1,334 kB in 4s (318 kB/s)
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> joep at laguna:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Calculating upgrade... Done
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>> joep at laguna:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>> So this looks OK . However:
>> joep at laguna:~$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
>>   Welcome to the Wine Team PPA.  Here you can get the latest available Wine
>> betas for every supported version of Ubuntu.  This PPA is managed by Scott
>> Ritchie and Maarten Lankhorst.
>>   More info: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>> Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it
>>
>> gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmp9gr31gqe/secring.gpg' created
>> gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmp9gr31gqe/pubring.gpg' created
>> gpg: requesting key F9CB8DB0 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
>> gpg: /tmp/tmp9gr31gqe/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
>> gpg: key F9CB8DB0: public key "Launchpad PPA for Ubuntu Wine Team" imported
>> gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
>> gpg: Total number processed: 1
>> gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
>> OK
>> joep at laguna:~$ sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Calculating upgrade... Done
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>> So the ppa is loaded but apparently it won install what´s in the ppa.
>>
>> That´s is as far as I am now. And again looking for directions how to
>> proceed.
> You need to do
> sudo apt-get update
> after adding the repository, so it updates its database of versions in
> the repos.  I did say that but had missed out an 'and' so you likely

Colin,
I did that but, although there were no errors this time, it did nothing:
Although it produce any errors this was the result:
___________________
joep at laguna:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for joep:
Ign http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com trusty InRelease
....(long list of srchives, etc)
Reading package lists... Done
joep at laguna:~$ sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
I´ve looked into the ppa lists and wine is there but for some reason or
other it is not used to download from and there is no wine installed.
So the mystery goes on!
Joep