Set DNS Servers For All Wifi Networks

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Wed Sep 10 20:42:11 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 02:56 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 10 September 2014 20:42, Sajan Parikh <sajan at parikh.io> wrote:
>> Right now, I can go into the connection manager, choose a wireless network
>> and update the DNS servers to use by setting the IPv4 to Automatic DHCP,
>> address only.  However, when I connect to another network, the default is to
>> pull an IP address from the DHCP along with the DNS servers.
>>
>> Is there a way for me to default all new connections to DHCP Address Only,
>> and set some sort of permanent DNS servers?  I thought about throwing them
>> into /etc/resolv.conf, but I assume that gets overwritten everytime I switch
>> connections.
> I cannot help with the problem but would be interested to know why one
> would want to use specific DN Servers.
>
> Colin

Hotel networks, sometimes libraries, and even some coffee shops whose
networks are configured by smaller, local ISPs have caused me issues
multiple times over the past few weeks while traveling.

Some DNS records that I absolutely know should resolve, don't.  The last
time I had this issue was at a hotel, and I ran dig +trace
host.thatshoud.resolve and saw some message about some limit being
reached.  Thought it was incredibly weird.  Edited my resolvers to
Google, and it worked great of course.

I don't know why that would happen, probably some upstream rate
limiting, and I've never encountered this before the past 2 months.
During which I've had this same exact issue at 5 different networks.

*Yes, the records that don't resolve are being served by my own DNS
cluster, but that is all working properly and the dig trace I ran showed
the error well before anything was queried to one of my servers.

Sajan Parikh