logrotate ownership problems

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Sep 10 09:49:09 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-09, Patrick Asselman wrote:

> And what does your /etc/logrotate.conf look like?
> It should have a "su root syslog" line apparently,
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/logrotate/+bug/1278193

File under "DUH".

It turns out both machines had /etc/logrotate.conf *and*
/etc/logrotate.conf.dpkg-dist files, where I forgot to check the
changes during a previous upgrade.  (My logrotate.conf file is
customized to do some rotations weekly & keep 5 instead of monthly &
1.)  The ...dpkg-dist file has the "su root syslog" line in it;
adding that to logrotate.conf fixed the problem.

I do find it strange that my file has been missing "su root syslog"
for months but the rsyslog update set the bug off, though.

Thanks everyone,
Adam