upgrading 12.04 to 14.04 gives many problems

J.L. Blom joep at neuroweave.nl
Fri Sep 5 11:00:22 UTC 2014

On 05/09/14 12:33, Colin Law wrote:
> On 5 September 2014 10:59, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>
>>> If so then in Synaptic search for wine, with Installed selected on the
>>> left hand side and see if anything installed.  Uninstall it if so and
>>> do the autoremove again, then try install again.
> You have not confirmed that you have done this (unless I missed it)
>
>>> Otherwise what does
>>> apt-get policy wine1.6
>>> show, and if that looks ok what happens if you try to install wine1.6?
>>>
>> Colin,
>> I tried the sudo apt-CACHE policy wine 1.6 and I get:
>> joep at laguna:/$ apt-cache policy wine1.6
>> wine1.6:
>>    Installed: (none)
> See comment above first, then -
> So wine1.6 is not installed (and installing wine said it would not
> install it), so try installing wine1.6
> sudo apt-get install wine1.6
> Hopefully that will provide a clue as to what the problem is.
>
>>    Candidate: 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4
>>    Version table:
>>       1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4 0
>>          500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
>> Packages
>>       1:1.6.1-0ubuntu1~ppa1~precise1 0
>>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>> Of course I did the autoremove but all to no avail. I remains complaining
>> about broken packages.
>> I tried:
>> joep at laguna:/$ sudo dpkg --remove -force --force-remove-reinstreq wine1.6
>> A command I found in an ubuntu-forum but I got the following result:
> I have no idea what that might have been intended to achieve, since
> wine1.6 is not installed.
>
> Colin

I agree! But that was the advice. I tried that also with wine1.7 but
that also did´nt do anything. Also the ´broken package´ message was´nt
resolved with synaptic command to remove broken packages.
The only thing I can think of is that in some .conf file some wine1.6
remnants are seen but how to find out which package(s) is/are broken I
don know.
Joep