upgrading 12.04 to 14.04 gives many problems

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:16:56 UTC 2014

On 4 September 2014 16:06, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:

>> First you need to remove the lucid ppa (though this may not actually
>> be the cause of the problem since the latest is the first one).  In
>> System Settings (under the cog in top right hand corner) select
>> Software & Updates and on the Other Software tab make sure there are
>> no Lucid sources selected.  Then when you close I think it will ask to
>> update the sources data.  Part of the problem may be that some stuff
>> from those has been installed and will have to be sorted out.
>>
>> In at terminal
>> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>> If there are any errors from that then post them here. If it suggests
>> apt-get -f then do that.
>>
>> Finally try
>> sudo apt-get install wine
>> again and see what happens.
>>
>> Colin
>

> Colin,
> Thanks for your instructions.
> I updated the software sources and when it started to reread the
> repositories I got the following errors:
> ______________________________
> W:Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/mscore-ubuntu/mscore-stable/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> 404  Not Found
> , W:Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/mscore-ubuntu/mscore-stable/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 404  Not Found
> , W:Failed to fetch
> http://www.wviewweather.com/apt/precise/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> 404  Not Found
> , W:Failed to fetch
> http://www.wviewweather.com/apt/precise/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 404  Not Found
> _________________________________
> So apparently those are´nt available.
> Logically sudo apt-get update gave the same errors.
> apt-cache policy wine gave:
>
> joep at laguna:/$ apt-cache policy wine
> wine:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 1:1.7.25-0ubuntu1~ppa4
>   Version table:
>      1:1.7.25-0ubuntu1~ppa4 0
>         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main
> amd64 Packages
>      1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4 0
>         500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
> Packages
> joep at laguna:/$
> But sudo apt-get install wine gave:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  wine : Depends: wine1.6 but it is not going to be installed or
>                  wine1.7 but it is not going to be installed
> I have used synaptic where you can repair broken packages but that does´nt
> do much.

Did you do
sudo apt-get autoremove

If so then in Synaptic search for wine, with Installed selected on the
left hand side and see if anything installed.  Uninstall it if so and
do the autoremove again, then try install again.

Otherwise what does
apt-get policy wine1.6
show, and if that looks ok what happens if you try to install wine1.6?