upgrading 12.04 to 14.04 gives many problems

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:35:15 UTC 2014

On 4 September 2014 14:16, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> On 04/09/14 14:53, Colin Law wrote:
>>

>> It means that something that is currently installed cannot be
>> installed at the same time as wine.
>> First remove anything that that is no longer required using
>> sudo apt-get autoremove
>>
>> If that removes anything then try installing wine again.  If still no
>> joy then what do you see if you type, in a terminal,
>> sudo apt-get update
>> then, assuming that shows no errors
>> apt-cache policy wine
>>
>> Copy/paste the result of the apt-cache command here.  Ctrl+Shift+C
>> will copy from the terminal, in case you were not aware of that.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Colin,
> Thanks for your speedy reply. I did what you recommended and of course some
> repositories were failed as apparently there was no trusty version packages
> in that repository.
> apt-cache policy wine gave the following:
> joep at laguna:/$ apt-cache policy wine
> wine:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 1:1.7.25-0ubuntu1~ppa4
>   Version table:
>      1:1.7.25-0ubuntu1~ppa4 0
>         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main
> amd64 Packages
>      1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4 0
>         500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
> Packages
>      1.2.3-0ubuntu1~ppa2~lucid1 0
>         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main
> amd64 Packages
>
> However, I´m not sufficiently informed to read what to do next. Does it mean
> that the repository for lucid is preventing the installation?
> Hope you can elucidate me.

First you need to remove the lucid ppa (though this may not actually
be the cause of the problem since the latest is the first one).  In
System Settings (under the cog in top right hand corner) select
Software & Updates and on the Other Software tab make sure there are
no Lucid sources selected.  Then when you close I think it will ask to
update the sources data.  Part of the problem may be that some stuff
from those has been installed and will have to be sorted out.

In at terminal
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If there are any errors from that then post them here. If it suggests
apt-get -f then do that.

Finally try
sudo apt-get install wine
again and see what happens.