upgrading 12.04 to 14.04 gives many problems

J.L. Blom joep at neuroweave.nl
Thu Sep 4 14:26:14 UTC 2014

On 04/09/14 15:29, R Kimber wrote:
> I guess the new system is geared to machines that might have several
> users, so mounts have been put under usernames. I can't think of any
> other reason for it. I assume that the developers are more interested
> in the corporate context in which Ubuntu might be used, rather than in
> home users, who are usually either single individuals, or multiple
> users that trust each other. I've always found the permissions issue
> irritating. This is nothing new. What would be really nice would be if
> someone produced a 'home version' for people like me who would like an
> environment that is easier for me to take control of - like the
> earlier versions of linux. That doesn't imply that security should be
> compromised - just that the home user doesn't need the same levels as
> the corporate user. - Richard.

Richard,
Thanks for the answer. However, I don´t think that´s the reason. I don´t
think that nowadays the same computer is used by different people,
especially not in the corporate environment. The only place where that
happens is in computer courses where many different students use the
same system. But there the solution is to work in a virtual environment
where each student has his own virtual system. That is much safer and
very much less chance to corrupt the whole system or mess with the work
of others. I have no clue what´s the reason. Maybe someone from
development has the answer.
Joep