upgrading 12.04 to 14.04 gives many problems

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Sep 4 12:33:51 UTC 2014

I upgraded eventually from 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS. However, contrary to
upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04 (and 8.04 to 10.04) this upgrade process
met with some serious problems, some of which haven resolved still.
1.    First there was the video-driver problem. I understand that the
problem lies with the NVIDIA -cards and drivers but it took me 2 days to
acquire a stable environment as in the beginning there was no graphics
at all and then the nouveau-driver only let me work on one screen with a
low resolution (I have 2 screens). Eventually with with the help of the
internet we succeed to install the correct driver (in my case ...304.123).
2.    Next my backuppc would´nt start and I discovered that for some
reason or other all soft links were destroyed as those in charge in
their endless wisdom had decided to mount external device on
/media/user/some_name instead of originally /media/some_name. This
destroyed off course all soft links but not only that but the
permissions remained the same. So device storage-1 (on an external 250Gb
drive) is now mounted on /media/joep/storage-1 but not with the
permissions related to my name. That is in-consequent. The original way
is much more logical. Moreover some devices (external disks) are mounted
with root permissions and others (USB-sticks) with user permissions Why??.
3.    Next, and leading to my biggest problem - is the fact that many
specific repositories were not upgraded but disabled in the some I could
restore but the 2 most important to me, wine and Musescore are not
reinstalled. Moreover, when I want to install wine from the software
Center it refuses with the following error message:
¨Package dependencies cannot be resolved
This error could be caused by required additional software packages
which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed
at the same time.¨
That´s of course very  clear but I would like somebody to tell me what
it means.

I can work with the system and some things are really improved but these
problems make me wonder why I upgraded. I hope somebody has enough
knowledge of the innards of 14.04 LTS to help me solve the problem 2 and
3. Problem 1 costed me only 2 days to solve, thanks to the internet.
Thanks in advance,
Joep