Can't Read Second Drive Since Last Update. (Not (Solved))

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 08:40:04 UTC 2014

On 4 September 2014 06:22, Stephen Oulton <stephen_o at bell.net> wrote:

>> After a couple of minutes it stoped copping from the main drive and gave
>> me the message of no permission to write, but in the mean time it had
>> already written a directory with several files in it.
>>
>> I didn't have this problem until I updated to the new kernal for Ubuntu
>> 12.04 lts.
>>
>> I considered upgrading to 14.04 but I have the old AMD graphics card,
>> and have the driver locked so it won't update.
>>
>> If I switch to Ubuntu 14.04 an I going to have the same problem with the
>> graphics accelerator.
>>
>> Thanks in advance;
>> Stephen.
>>
> Now I restarted my computer and it won't recognize the main drive.
>
> I get a drive serial number. Then I get this.
> No Such Drive.
> grub rescue > and a flashing cursor.
>
> I don't know what to do.
>
> I started up with a live disk. I used <gksudo nautilus> and I copied files
> from one drive to the other and back again with no problems.
>
> I tried to reboot into the system that is installed and I get the same
> problem.

Problems like this that keep changing are usually hardware related.  I
know that it appeared to be ok booting from live disk, but with
intermittent problems that does not prove anything.  I suggest first
opening the box and re-seating all the disk cables (remove each
connection and replace it).

Colin