Web cam

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 26 19:17:44 UTC 2014

On 10/24/2014 05:17 PM, Scott Blair wrote:
> I just hooked up my Play Station web cam and it works in Ubuntu, not
> windows.
> I have tested it in Skype and get a great picture. What I would like to
> know;
> what is a good program to record video from a web cam in Ububtu?

guvcview - if your web cam is UVC (USB Video Class) compatible (most new
webcams are & you can check here unser 'Supported devices' -
<http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/> and the FAQ to find out your device
<http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/faq/>)

$ sudo apt-get install guvcview

You can then either run from the terminal:

$ guvcview

or look in your Sound & Video menu for 'GTK UVC video viewer'.

guvcview will give you considerably more controls (video, image, codec,
etc) than cheese.