Thunderbird - Software Security Device

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Sun Oct 26 10:34:08 UTC 2014

I realize Thunderbird has their own support, but wasn't subscribed there
and didn't want to for a single issue.

I use an S/MIME Digital Certificate to sign, encrypt, and decrypt
messages in Thunderbird and have been doing this for a long time.

I go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Certificates, import my certificate
then have the account use it.  Has always worked.

I just did a fresh installation of Ubuntu 14.10 and went through the
same steps that I always go through, however this time I think somehow
Thunderbird, on its own, setup a Software Security Device.

I have no idea how the Security Devices work in Thunderbird, however my
certificate seems to be tied to this somehow.

*The problem* is that now, assuming because of this, every time I launch
Thunderbird, it is asking me for the master password for the 'Software
Security Device', which I guess I set when I imported my certificate.
Once I enter the password, everything works as expected.  However, it
asks me for that password on every launch of Thunderbird.

What did I do wrong and how can I get Thunderbird to stop asking me for
this password on every launch?  I'm very close to deleting my
Thunderbird profile and starting over.

Thanks.

--
Sajan Parikh