LTS vs 14.10

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Oct 21 10:18:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:07:20PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Grizzly wrote:
> > Up til now I have always installed the "next" release of Ubuntu but
> > now I have
> > tweaked Trusty (more than I had previously) as this is an LTS if I
> > just carry
> >
> > on with
> >
> > sudo apt-get -y update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
> >
> > will this be a fully updated Trusty or a UtopicUnicorn with all my
> > tweaks
>
> It will still be Trusty. If you want to get to the next version you will
> have to use do-release-upgrade (or one of the GUI tools).

If you 'do-dist-upgrade' to UtopicUnicorn the it should retain all
your tweaks though you *may* get a few messages during the upgrade
process asking if you want to retain an existing configuration file or
let the upgrade put a new default one in place. (It also gives you
options to show the differences etc.)

--
Chris Green