VMware Player rephrase: "Unable to run depmod"

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Oct 20 13:41:53 UTC 2014

Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> (2014/10/20 2:36), Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> >> After the successful installation of VMware Player I get the error:
> >> "Unable to run depmod"
> >> "See log /tmp/vmware-root/vmware-modconfig-xxxx.log" where "xxxx"
> >> changes each time I try.
> >
> > Do you still have such a log on your machine? Maybe it gives a clue
> > what went wrong.
>
> I believe there are, but when I try to access /vmware-root I get
> "Permissions Denied"
> and I could not yet figure out, how to get past that.
>
> > I would also try the command
> >
> > sudo depmod -a
> >
> > in a terminal. Any error message from that command might give a clue
> > as well.
>
> That command does not give any output I can see.

Ok, no output means that depmod can run without problems with the
currently used kernel, which is good. In your reply to Saqman2060 in the
virtualbox thread you wrote:

| Although the sudo apt-get install / upgrade now worked,
| as well as "running depmod" during first start of VMware Player,

Therefore I suppose that at least this depmod problem is gone - is that
correct? Could you (re)install the 3.13.0-37 kernel without errors? Then
I think we don't need the vmware logs. And maybe you should start a new
thread for the new problems as they are not related to vmware player or
depmod.

Nils