VirtualBox

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 06:29:31 UTC 2014

On 20 October 2014 02:25, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
> (2014/10/20 2:41), Nils Kassube wrote:
>>
>> Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>>
>>> So ... right now NO SUDO COMMAND whatsoever works ...
>>
>> What do you mean by the statement above? Do you get an error message if
>> you try to run any sodo commands? Or do you mean that the result of the
>> commands you tried so far to make virtualbox work just wasn't
>> succeessful?
>>

>> Nils
>>

> Good morning
> The machine causing all these troubles is at home and I am at work now, so
> that trying things will have to wait until evening.
> VirtualBox should be gone, because I removed it (successfully?) earlier.
>
> When I run something like "sudo apt-get update", I get the output copied
> below, always ending with the same error.
> Meaning, as far as I can understand it, that I can type in ANY sudo command,
> but that is never executed successfully.

It doesn't help with your problem, but just to avoid confusion I think
you will find that the problem is not with sudo, but with sudo
apt-get.  For example, I think you will find that
sudo ls
works fine.

My advice is to follow Nils' suggestions and respond with the results
of his suggestions rather than rush around trying everything under the
sun. :)

Just out of interest your experience with linux is very unusual, I
have only ever once had to resort to re-installing and that was when I
had a power fail in the middle of updating the kernel.  Even then I am
sure I could have fixed it with sufficient time but as it was a basic
system with little customisation I decided to cut my losses and
re-install.

Colin