Restoring home after change to 64 bit.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Oct 17 07:05:05 UTC 2014

Colin Law wrote:
> I am getting a new PC to replace one running 14.04 32 bit. I plan to
> install 64 bit. If I copy my home folder across to the new machine
> after install should all be well or will the fact that I am changing
> to 64 bit cause problems?

I did that some years ago and for me it was seamless. While I'm using
Kubuntu, I don't think there should be a difference for other Ubuntu
flavours. Your config files are usually text files which don't depend on
the the system architecture. If you have compiled some applications, you
could recompile them with 64 bit.

Nils