Subscription problems and gmane

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 16:11:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 10/05/2014 10:35 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On 5 October 2014 17:28, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Over the last couple of months some of my messages have bounced and the
>>> reason give was that I was not subscribed.  I have been subscribed
>>> through
>>> gmane for a number of years.  A check of the archives shows I have been
>>> receiving all of the messages.
>>>
>>> The moderators are sympathetic but don't know anything about gmane so
>>> they
>>> are unable to help. Has anyone else faced this problem and solved it?
>>>

>> AAIUI Gmane is a Usenet-to-email gateway. This is a mailing list.
>> There's no need.
>>
>> So... Don't use Gmane, just subscribe directly?
>>

> I used to subscribe directly and then someone told me about gmane and I
> found I liked it better that way.  Even though I used to filter to folders,
> my inbox seemed cluttered.  I have it set to keep the last 2000 messages
> for each group I read. I don't see them because I have it set to only show
> unread messages, but I can show them if I want.  It makes it easy to go
> back to the start of a thread if want without having to connect to an
> archive somewhere. I read 3 other groups this way without this problem, but
> if it persists I will have to go back to the old way.

My apologies if someone else suggested this and I missed seeing it, but one
way is to subscribe to the list, then going into mailman at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users and setting your
subscription to "Mail Delivery: Disabled." That way you ARE a subscriber
but you will not receive messages from the list.