Does deleting a partition below Ubuntu mess up grub?

William Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Sun Oct 12 16:11:53 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, but I am not sure if that is the problem.  Looking in
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg it contains direct references to sda numbers, so
> my memory was that grub looked for the wrong partition.  Perhaps my
> memory is wrong, however, and it was mounting the drives that caused
> the problem due to having sda numbers in fstab.

UUID mounts aren't all that hard, and they allow you to reorder partitions
without things mounting in the wrong place. It would certainly solve this
problem, as well as some others, like accidentally leaving a USB device
logged in and then having the system not boot correctly.

What tools are you referring to?  I was planning on using gparted.

That one will work.

--
W. Scott Lockwood III