Does deleting a partition below Ubuntu mess up grub?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 13:35:41 UTC 2014

On 12 October 2014 14:27, William Scott Lockwood III <scott at guppylog.com> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2014 8:16 AM, "Colin Law" <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I want to delete a partition (sda4) which is below the Ubuntu
>> partition (sda5).  I seem to remember when I did something similar
>> some time ago that it messed up grub and the machine would not boot,
>> due to the fact that the sda numbers changed when the partition was
>> deleted.  Is that still the case, and if so is there a procedure for
>> deleting sda4 that will not cause such problems?  This is Ubuntu
>> 12.04.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>
> Mount by UUID rather than device name. Also, there are tools that help you
> do this in a sane manor. Any of the gui partition managers should do,this
> just fine.

Thanks, but I am not sure if that is the problem.  Looking in
/boot/grub/grub.cfg it contains direct references to sda numbers, so
my memory was that grub looked for the wrong partition.  Perhaps my
memory is wrong, however, and it was mounting the drives that caused
the problem due to having sda numbers in fstab.

What tools are you referring to?  I was planning on using gparted.

Colin