usb problems

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Oct 12 00:28:28 UTC 2014

Hello all;

I am in need of a tool that will effectively do a ping against a specified
USB port, a port I know there is something on the other end of the cable
and hub as I just had a printer do a test page over the same cabling.
Basically I want to send a $55 down the cable once a second to a specified
port, in thgius case /dev/ttyUSB1, for oscilloscope troubleshooting, at
least as long as trouble doesn't shoot back... ;-)

Do we have such a beast?

I have a copy of Randy Dunlap's usbtree, a perl module, but with kernel
3.16.0, its returning null + linefeed only. I have not used this utility
in probably 2 years. So with a newer kernel, it may not work.  But it is
not complaining either.  "Puzzling" seems to fit.

Thanks for any clues, urls etc.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)