getting started with VPN's

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Fri Oct 10 23:09:23 UTC 2014

On 10/10/2014 05:52 PM, Thufir wrote:
> I've never used a VPN before.  I think with Windows you "log in" to a
> remote pc and move the mouse around?  I've looked at wikipedia, but can't
> really figure out what a VPN is or what it's used for.
>
> How is it different from, in Windows, "logmeinrescue.com" or similar?
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

A VPN stands for Virtual Private Network, and it basically allows you to
connect to a network that is "somewhere else".  For example, say you
have an office with a file server and the file server is only accessible
to computers on the local, office network.  The file server is not
openly accessible to anyone outside of the office, because anyone
outside of the office would not be part of the office network.

However, a VPN can be used for people to connect INTO the office and
basically be a part of the local, office network over the internet from
a remote location.  Then the file server would think you are on the
local network and give you access.

That is just one example.  In short, it allows your computer to connect
to a network that is "somewhere else" using some sort of VPN protocol,
of which there are many.  PPTP, L2TP, IPSEC, OpenVPN, etc.

I think your question about logmeinrescue.com and being able to move the
mouse around is a misunderstanding on your part.  That is more along the
lines of "Remote Access", and that basically allows you to take over a
computer's video, keyboard, and mouse using a related protocol, one of
which being VNC, which is what you might be thinking of.  Another one is
called RDP.

Sajan Parikh