sbackup question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 9 14:54:01 UTC 2014

On Thursday 09 October 2014 09:20:36 Jay Ridgley did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Folks,
>
> I use a network drive as the target for my back ups. My question is, if
> more than one system is backing up to the same drive should each be
> placed in a separate directory on that drive.
>
> For example:
>
> Network drive path /big_archive
> system_1	/big_archive/system_1
> system_2	/big_archive/system_2
>
> In the past I have used just /big_archive and it appeared that if
> backups were done on more than one system per day it got confused and
> would not function properly...
>
> Thanks,
> Jay

I would do that, but be aware that there may be drives (hopefully rare
today) out there which can get confused when two sources are writing at
the same time.  Amanda handles that scenario fairly well in the read phase
when doing its backups by not asking for two files that are on the same
"spindle" as that is much easier on the seek mechanics, and doing it
sequentially is generally faster.  The write mechanism does use a file per
disk list entry, but writes to a buffer drive, then when that disk list
entry is completed, writes the resultant file from the buffer drive to the
final drive, in whatever order they are completed.  Not so important when
using virtual drives like your NAS, but extremely important when using
real tapes as there is no such thing as random access to a tape.  That
also reduces shoe shining when the tape is faster than the feeding
machine.

Amanda can be pretty fast at everything if the temporary holding disk area
has its own spindle, aka a second drive, and then uses a third for the
storage medium.  But I haven't actually set that up here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)