No network when docking

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 8 14:50:35 UTC 2014

On 10/08/2014 01:30 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-10-07 at 20:30 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>
>> $ sudo killall NetworkManager
>> (mind the caps)
>> and then see if it works.
>
> That will not help. Don't do that. You could try *restarting*
> NetworkManager thusly after docking the laptop:

Excuse me, but it won't hurt either. On occassion when I un-suspend my
laptop the network is not working, the only absolute way to get it going
again is to issue 'sudo killall NetworkManager'. See:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1251054>

> sudo restart network-manager

Which is effectivly the same thing as 'sudo killall NetworkManager' -
check the PID of 'NetworkManager' before and after you issue 'sudo
restart network-manager' and you will find that the previous PID is
killed and 'NetworkManager' is issued a new PID.

> ... but I have no idea whether it will help ;-)

Quite.