Launcher shortcut produces error after OS update

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 13:38:31 UTC 2014

On 6 October 2014 12:34, Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> .
>
> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 2:56 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 October 2014 01:30, Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a trading app I use for forex. It was built on Java.
>>> It worked fine for a month and then after a normal weekly Ubuntu
>>> update it produced this error:
>>>
>>> java.langUnsatisfiedLinkError: Cant load library: /libjwutils_linux32.so
>>>
>>> My desktop entry in usr/share/applications:
>>>
>>> [Desktop Entry]
>>> Name=Barchart
>>> Comment=Online Trading Program
>>> Exec=/home/wadesmart/Barchart/Barchart-linux32-online
>>> Icon=/usr/share/icons/barchart.png
>>> Terminal=false
>>> Type=Application
>>> Categories=Applications;
>>>
>>> If I click on Barchart-linux32-online directly, it runs fine.
>>
>> What do you mean by "click on Barchart-linux32-online directly"?
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>
> If you click on the application directly, it starts just fine.

Do you mean clicking on it in nautilus (Files)?

What happens if you type, in a terminal
/home/wadesmart/Barchart/Barchart-linux32-online

What happens if you browse to /usr/share/applications and double click
the desktop file there?

If that works then remove the link from the shortcut (it is probably
referring to a different desktop file, (possibly one in
.local/share/applications) and drag the one in /usr/share/applications
to the launcher.

Colin