aptdaemon error

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Sun Oct 5 15:18:48 UTC 2014

WOW! So much "sudo" stuff.
Are all Linux people supposed to know all that?
(2014/10/05 2:20), Liam Proven wrote:
> On 4 October 2014 16:04, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
>> * trying "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" ->
>> * I get another error: "dpkg was disrupted; you must use 'sudo dpkg
>> --configure -a' to fix the problem"
>> * trying that shows: "error reading package '/var/lib/dpkg/status'
>> Input/Output error

 From a shell:

sudo touch /forcefsck
Then reboot. -> done

On reboot, do
sudo dpkg --configure -a
->    resulted in this error:
     dpkg: error: reading package info file '/var/lib/dpkg/status':
Input/output error

If that works, do: -> even though the above DID NOT work, I tried the
following anyway
sudo apt-get install -f
->    resulted in this error:
     E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg
--configure -a' to correct the problem.

This should report no errors. -> DID cause errors, however.
Then do: -> in spite of the above errors I tried these too, also getting

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
->    resulted in this error:
     E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg
--configure -a' to correct the problem.

sudo apt-get purge

Then

sudo apt-get update -> this DOES run, but the next one again makes trouble
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
->    resulted in this error:
     E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg
--configure -a' to correct the problem.

While this seemed to be a real hint of hope at the horizon ...  it
unfortunately did not work out.

*    I noticed that there are:

'/var/lib/dpkg/status'
'/var/lib/dpkg/status-old' (which I did not create)

Just thinking ... if it were possible to delete the first and rename the latter again into "status" ... would that maybe help?
However, I could not figure out yet, how to modify or move/delete etc. those files.