esc key does not work

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Oct 4 20:34:19 UTC 2014

On Saturday 04 October 2014 14:23:23 Asif Iqbal did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> My escape key does not work. I am running ubuntu trusty 64bit on my
> >> laptop HP ProBook 650 G1.
> >>
> >> I tried with vim and could not get out of insert mode.
> >>
> >> I clicked on File menu for any application and when hit escape it
> >> did not disappear.
> >>
> >> Any suggestion on how to fix it.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > I opened the keyboard with System Settings -> Text Entry -> Keyboard
> > Icon. Then every key
> > I touch, the corresponding key in the Keyboard in display lits up.
> > But when I hit the Escape
> > key, the Escape key does not lit up at all. It is a brand new laptop,
> > so I doubt escape key is
> > broken.
>
> xev shows output all the keys, but no output at all when touching the
> 'esc' key.

KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x8800001,
    root 0x101, subw 0x0, time 634428887, (537,825), root:(545,898),
    state 0x10, keycode 9 (keysym 0xff1b, Escape), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1b) ""
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1b) ""
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x8800001,
    root 0x101, subw 0x0, time 634429071, (537,825), root:(545,898),
    state 0x10, keycode 9 (keysym 0xff1b, Escape), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1b) ""
    XFilterEvent returns: False

The above is what an esc keypress and release should resemble

> > --
> >
> >> Asif Iqbal
> >> PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
> >> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
> >> text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> >
> > --
> > Asif Iqbal
> > PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)