aptdaemon error

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Sat Oct 4 14:04:30 UTC 2014

Good evening
I was trying really hard to install Virtualbox - basically with no
success at all.
Following the instructions Mr. NoOP has provided:
sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo apt-get install dkms
sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-4.3
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo
apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3

However, I noticed that
* the wall paper of the screen had disappeared
* there is the red icon (looking like "no thoroughfare") at the top of
the screen I have seen before. A problem I could resolve then following
Mr. Colins advice.
* I get an error "An unhandable error seems to be a programming error in
aptdaemon" appears
* googling shows, in the past this has been reported as a bug
* trying "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" ->
* I get another error: "dpkg was disrupted; you must use 'sudo dpkg
--configure -a' to fix the problem"
* trying that shows: "error reading package '/var/lib/dpkg/status'
Input/Output error

Does this (again!) sentence me to reinstallation from scratch (for the
10 millionth time)?
Or is there any chance, this can be solved?

Thank you.
Thomas