Unusable disk partition

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 12:03:39 UTC 2014

On 4 October 2014 11:13, Phil <phil_lor at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Gparted won't allow me to proceed because I already have four primary
> partitions and I cannot delete the unallocated section.

There's nothing to delete. It's empty.

What is in the other 3 partitions aside from the Windows C drive?

EFI diagnostics? You need those. A recovery partition? An empty
primary data partition?

If you want to keep Windows and keep it operable, you only have 1
choice, really. You need to delete 1 of those 4 primaries and create
an extended partition in its place. Once you have an extended
partition, in it, you can create as many logical drives as you want,
for Linux, for Windows or both.

If there is a data partition that you can get rid of, you could move
its contents onto the C drive, remove the data partition, make an
extended, make a logical drive in the extended, and move the contents
back into that. The setup will look the same at the drive-letter level
to Windows.

Then you could use some of the remaining space to make logical
partitions for Linux, inside the extended partition.

BTW I do not see any particular reason for keeping /usr/local separate any more.