VirtualBox

Sarunas Burdulis sarunas at math.dartmouth.edu
Wed Oct 1 16:19:16 UTC 2014

On 10/01/2014 11:03 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> (2014/10/01 21:02), Niles Rogoff wrote:
>> have you tried manually running 'sudo modprobe vboxdrv'?
> THAT shows:
> "Module vboxdrv does not exist"
>
> Now what?
> So far reinstalling of updating did not help.

That software center GUI might be hiding something from you…

You may want to open a Terminal and run a few commands.

Try to reinstall:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install virtualbox virtualbox-dkms

The latter should also attempt to compile kernel modules.

Check what's installed, status:
sudo dpkg -l virtualbox\*

(This is what I have on a working system:
ii  virtualbox  4.3.10-dfsg-1
ii  virtualbox-dkms  4.3.10-fsg-1
ii  virtualbox-guest-additions-iso 4.3.10-1
ii  virtualbox-qt 4.3.10-dfsg-1)

To reload kernel modules, if found:
sudo service vboxdrv restart

Do not run
sudo service vboxdrv setup
as it seems to remove existing kernel modules, but then fails to compile
new ones.

Sarunas Burdulis
http://math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas