Upgrading from 12.04.5LTS to 14.04.1LTS Unable to do an upgrade from CD

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 1 10:56:13 UTC 2014

On 10/01/2014 03:39 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 30 September 2014 23:55, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am trying to upgrade the last of my systems to 14.04.1LTS.
>> 3 have been done...
>>
>> For some reason this last system will not allow me to do an Upgrade only a
>> reinstall, the others I was able to do an upgrade. However, each was a
>> separate set of circumstances...
>>
>> This last system will not allow me to do an upgrade using the Update
>> Manager.
>>
>> I created an DVD from the download page and used it on another system, that
>> worked. When I tried to do the same activity on this system it refuses to
>> allow me to click on the Upgrade option (the one at the top of the list).
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I do NOT want to reinstall...
>
> I believe you have to use the "alternate CD" image for an upgrade-from-disk.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Upgrades#Upgrades_via_alternate_CD
>
> The snag is, after 12.10, Alternate CDs were dropped... So I am not
> sure if it will work any more.

Thanks Liam for the response.

What you are saying does not make sense to me. In my circumstances I have a
total of four(4) systems. All have worked differently when it came to doing the
upgrade to 14.04.1 LTS. Yet the desktops (3) of them had the same basic
configuration of s/w. Which was:
12.04.5 LTS w/Cinnamon desktop

1. Upgraded using sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade. Added
Cinnamon post install. NO problems moving to 14.04.1 LTS.

2. Upgraded using the CD and choosing Upgrade from the menu. Added Cinnamon post
install. NO problems moving to 14.04.1 LTS.

3. Will not work with either option used above.

NONE worked choosing UPGRADE from the Update Manager. The other one is a
headless server. I used sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade.
NO problems at all.

Cheers,
Jay

--