install from tarbal file

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Sun Nov 30 17:50:02 UTC 2014

Good evening
I found that there is this software called "fantasdic" (supposed to be a
dictionary reader)
and would like to try that.
BUT ...
it is provided online
https://projects.gnome.org/fantasdic/
as a "tar.gz" file.

In the readme file it says:
Requirements
------------

Ruby >= 1.8.0: http://www.ruby-lang.org
GTK+ >= 2.6: http://www.gnome.org
Ruby-GTK2 >= 0.14.1 [*]: http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp
Ruby-GetText >= 0.6.1 [**]: http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext.html
Intltool [**]: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fintltool

[*]: Required libraries are: Ruby/Libglade2, Ruby/Gtk2 and Ruby/GdkPixbuf2.
Ruby-GTK2 0.16 is however highly recommended.

[**]: Optional.

Install
-------

$ ruby setup.rb config
$ ruby setup.rb setup
($ su)
# ruby setup.rb install

OK. -> I installed each of the "requirements", except for the GTK+,
where synaptic gives a million files and I have no idea which one to choose.
Next I did all that command stuff.
Yet, I still have only a bunch of folders and files.
Nothing to "run".

WHAT do I have to do to make this thing work?
(why does everything under linux have to be such an incredibly
complicated and incomprehensible task?)

Thank you
Thomas