dual boot 14.04 and 14.10

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Sun Nov 30 00:05:25 UTC 2014

On 11/28/2014 11:42 PM, Peter Teuben wrote:
> One always takes risks dual booting with a shared home directory between
> even as closely related versions as Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10.
>
> I have a few to report, as I'm trying to see if 14.10 is worth going to:
> Comments and other experiences welcome, I'll try and keep this thread
> alive with new experiences and solutions:
>

> 1) in 14.10 the top bar does not report the date/time, no sound control
> icon either

As said in another posting, date/time was a language pack issue,  very
subtle.
the sound control was "somehow" just a dconf setting, I had to make
it visible again, that simple.

> 2) in thunderbird three of my five inboxes are gone.... they are still
> in the
>     preferences, just no on screen

Another victory.  This one was definitely a subtle pilot error. I had a
symlink'd
home directory, and the cryptic original name (/home13/$USER) was in
the mail folder, of course in the new system that link wasn't used anymore).