Ubuntu On 32GB eMMC

Keith kilowattradio at comcast.net
Wed Nov 26 20:35:10 UTC 2014

Copyright All Rights Reserved 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:52:32 -0600
Sajan Parikh <sajan at parikh.io> wrote:

> I'm thinking about buying a laptop that only has 32GB eMMC storage.
>
> Will I have any problems installing Ubuntu on this?

No. That is plenty of room for installing Ubuntu. You will probably need
a cloud server if you want to store any music or videos. You should also
use only online (web) email and office software that google or
Microsoft offers. If the computer has USB 2 or 3 ports then you can also
use an external hard drive for storage of large files.

After running Ubuntu software updates you should open a terminal
window to enter these commands to remove installed and uninstalled
packages.

apt-get autoclean

This command removes .deb files for packages that are no longer
installed on your system. Depending on your installation habits,
removing these files from /var/cache/apt/archives may regain a
significant amount of diskspace.

apt-get clean

The same as above, except it removes all packages from the package
cache. This may not be desirable if you have a slow Internet
connection, since it will cause you to redownload any packages you need
to install a program.

    The package cache is in /var/cache/apt/archives . The command

    du -sh /var/cache/apt/archives

    will tell you how much space cached packages are consuming..