Download All .debs in build-essential

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Tue Nov 25 02:32:11 UTC 2014

On 11/24/2014 03:51 PM, sktsee wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:30:24 -0600, Sajan Parikh wrote:
>
>> I need to build iwlwifi after I made an edit to the module in backports.
>>   The laptop I need to build this on is freshly installed with no
>> internet connection.  In order to build the module, which I had on a USB
>> drive, I need to install the build-essential package.
>>
>> What is the best way for me to get a list and download of all the .debs
>> that make up build-essential and its dependencies?
>>
>> My plan is to download the debs, put them on a USB drive, install them
>> on the laptop, and continue building iwlwifi so I can have internet on
>> this laptop.
>>
>> Or, if there's a better way, please let me know.  A USB network adapter
>> would be ideal, but I forgot it at home, ;(.
> You should be able to compile your kernel module without installing the
> build-essential package. On a clean, default Ubuntu desktop installation,
> the gcc, libc6-dev (provides libc-dev), and make packages should already
> be installed along with the kernel headers. Build-essential is only
> needed if you want build Debian packages.

You're right.  The errors I was seeing were due to something else. I was
able to successfully compile the module on a fresh installation.

I didn't update because I thought it might've been good to know for
future reference.

In the end, it dawned on my that all the .debs are are stored in
/var/cache/apt/archive, and I used apt-cache showpkg to figure out what
I needed and grabbed the .debs from the machine that was online.

--
Sajan Parikh