CIFS VFS error -101 - can't boot

william drescher william at TechServSys.com
Sun Nov 23 12:39:48 UTC 2014

On 11/23/2014 6:50 AM, Stephen Allen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 04:32:44PM -0800, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> What is the best way to fix the following issue?
>>
>> I have an external drive that has failed and not reachable auto mounted in
>> the /etc/fstab .
>>
>> Now one of my linux servers is not booting.  I am using the LVM file system
>> which I am not completely familiar with mounting from the rescue mode.
>>
>> The error that is on the screen at the time of it hanging during boot
>> says

that google search will not work because the minus before the 101
excludes exactly what the op wants.  lmtgtfy is a really good was
of holding someone up to ridicule, but you have to get it right
or end up looking like an arrogant fool.

This search does work
<https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=cifs_mount+failed+w%2Freturn+code+%3D+-101&gws_rd=ssl#pws=0&q=cifs_mount+failed++101>