Error attempting to update 14.04

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 17:52:08 UTC 2014

I have updated 14.04 on my laptop multiple times without problems, but
last night after the downloading phase was completed I got an error
during the installation phase. Now I have no network connection wired or
wireless.  I verified that the cable is good.

During installation a dialog popped up saying the package system was
broken. Said I should disable 3d party software and run apt-get install
-f.  Did both. Here is the error portion of the apt-get command typed in
because of no networking.

preparing to unpack.../libpython3.3-stdlib_3.3.6-2+trustyt1_amd64deb...
Unpacking libpython3.3-stdlib:amd64 (3.3.6-2+trusty1)
dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/libpython3.3-stdlib_3.3.6-2+turusty1_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/python3.3/idle/dynOptionMenuWidget.py',
which is also in package idle-python.3.3.3.5-2trusty1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
  /var/cache/apt/archives/libpython3.3-stdlib_3.3.6-2+trusty1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)

Up in the top panel is an error symbol which has an error message saying.

The error message was: 'Error:BrokenCount > 0. This usually means that
your installed packages have unmet dependencies.

Anyone have an ideal of how to recover from this situation?

Thanks,  Jim