Serious disk problem

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 13 22:35:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 05:32:57 +0800
wG|Agent M wrote:

> You may be right about the motherboard....but I would run the memory
> test,

I'll do that tomorrow.  The original drive that failed contained my entire
music collection. At the moment I'm copying the backups to a new, separate,
NAS drive, but 1.6TB takes a long time.

> and possibly even run a scan on the HDD that Ubuntu is installed
> on, just to make sure there is nothing tripping you up there.

I did reboot.  Doesn't it get scanned at boot-up?

> Does the
> new drive pass SMART Selftest? and what file system is the drive?

sudo smartctl -a -T permissive /dev/sdd gives:

smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-3.13.0-39-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               /4:0:0:0
Product:
User Capacity:        600,332,565,813,390,450 bytes [600 PB]
Logical block size:   774843950 bytes
>> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

Error Counter logging not supported

Device does not support Self Test logging

But I haven't yet done a proper test.

> I would also try ( in the interest of thoroughness ) swapping out the
> SATA cable, and even trying a different SATA header on the mobo. just to
> eliminate any bad contact / header issues.

I don't think I have any spare ports, but I could try swapping something

> The WD Reds I think were designed for NAS, but should still be fine,
> just a bit slower I think. And of course Gene's suggestion of updating
> the firmware on the drive is a good idea to, but given your having the
> same issue with the old and new drive, I would possibly try the other
> suggestions first.

I intended it to be used in effect as a NAS.  The original drive that
failed was a Seagate Hybrid SSHD.  I'll have a look to see if there's a
firmware update.

I've also just come across this, which looks relevant.
though it's a bit old.  I't not clear to me whether it has been fixed, and
maybe the kernel upgrade that I would get from moving from 14.04 to 14.10
might help.

Thanks,
- Richard.
--