problems upgrading 14.04 to 14.10 (configuration failures in sysv-rc & grub packages)

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 12:03:14 UTC 2014

On 05/11/14 11:34, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2014-11-04, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
> Using various arrangements of
>
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
> sudo apt-get -f install
> sudo apt-get autoremove
>
> I have now reached the point where all of them say there's nothing
> left to do.  Can I now safely conclude that the machine in question is
> completely upgraded to 14.10, or are there any more tests to try?
>
> Thanks!

For extra piece of mind I'd run;

sudo update-grub

Just to give me a list of installed systems on that machine, make sure
that the current kernel, recovery mode & memtest are ALL listed before I
rebooted.

As you had a grub error in your earlier post it might be worth
downloading boot repair
http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/  but your live media
should work!

Good luck