transmission-daemon breaks dist-upgrade if daemon is disabled

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Nov 5 10:43:32 UTC 2014

I just hit this problem in upgrading 14.04 to 14.10, & remembered that
I've had it on several previous upgrades.

If /etc/default/transmission has 'ENABLE_DAEMON=0', the package
configuration script fails (because the daemon can't start) & the
upgrade aborts.  Since it's generally considered good security to turn
off services that you're not using (I occasionally use
transmission-daemon, but run it manually when I need it), isn't this a
bug?