Terminal crashing

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Nov 3 06:55:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 04:57:12AM -0600, Curt Tresenriter wrote:
> I just tried to run diff on a couple directories. It printed four or
> five lines and then closed.
> I see nothing in the logs and trying to run dmesg resulted in another
> crash.

Which logs did you check?

dmesg is copied to /var/log/kern.log.

If gnome-terminal segfaulted, you should see something there, like

  kernel: [39907.055358] gedit[25493]: segfault at 0 ip           (null) sp 00007fff2773f088 error 14 in gedit[400000+2000]

If it closed because of an X protocol error, perhaps you can find
something relevant in ~/.cache/upstart/*.log

> This is a brand new install of Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 which has been
> preforming flawlessly for a few days now.
>
> I haven't got a clue how to begin troubleshooting this error.
> Any advice?

Enable apport in /etc/default/apport, reproduce the crash, look at the
apport error, look at the stack trace.  Install apport-retrace: this
will add an extra button to Apport's dialog that will let you run gdb
with debug symbols on the core file of the crash.

Do any other applications crash randomly?  If so, it's worth checking
for hardware problems with memtest86.

Marius Gedminas
--
Unix is the answer, but only if you phrase the question very carefully.
                -- Belinda Asbell