Re: Keyboard layout – strange behaviour

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 10:53:49 UTC 2014

> I have had my own keyboard layout for years now, I think at least since
> 2008 or so. I call it ”Johnny Rosenberg” and it works perfectly. The actual
> keyboard (the hardware) is Swedish and I am too. Surprise…
>
> Today I finally did some changes since I was kind of annoyed about some
> character locations. The change involved two keys.
> Before change:
> 7-key (at the line above the ”qwerty” line):
> |
> Shift → /
> AltGr → {
> Shift+AltGr → /
>
> ¨-key (at the ”qwerty” line to the right of the ”å” key:
> ¨ (dead key)
> Shift → ^ (dead key)
> AltGr → ~
> Shift+AltGr → ˇ (dead key)
>
> Now I want to move three characters around a bit: /, | and ¨.
> After change:
> 7-key (at the line above the ”qwerty” line):
> /
> Shift → ¨ (dead key)
> AltGr → {
> Shift+AltGr → /
>
> ¨-key (at the ”qwerty” line to the right of the ”å” key:
> |
> Shift → ^ (dead key)
> AltGr → ~
> Shift+AltGr → ˇ (dead key)
>

> So I made the necessary changes to /usr/sgare/X11/xkb/symbols/se and I
> even restarted the computer.
> I also selected another layout, then my own layout again and so on, but no
> matter what I do (so far, at least), my old layout is still used. The
> layout view thing tells me my new layout, but the result of pressing keys
> still gives me the old one!
>
> How do the system even know my old layout? It's removed from the system!
> Or isn't it? I could easily change the layout like this in earlier Ubuntu
> versions, is something added now, like I need to ”compile” the files or
> something? At least that wasn't needed when I added my layout right after
> doing a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04. I just replaced the se file with my
> own (and also the evdev.xml and evdev.lst, but there are no further changes
> needed in those in this particular case).
>
> Ideas?
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Did some more experiments:
I reinstalled the original layout files. Then the ”Johnny Rosenberg” layout
disappeared, of course. So I installed my own files once again, and the
”Johnny Rosenberg” layout was there again. The layout view shows the
correct (new) layout, but when typing I still get the old layout. I
searched my whole drive and there is no trace of the old se file anywhere,
STILL the system uses it!

Next, I logged out and then logged in on my wife's account. She only use
the Swedish standard layout and she can also select the US standard layout
by clicking an icon in the panel. I added my own layout there, and it
worked!
Logged out, logged in to my own account, and the old ”Johnny Rosenberg”
layout was back again… Seems like some file in my local home directory is
messing something up, but what? I don't even know what to look for…

Help, anyone? Please…? :)

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ